Tuesday, December 27, 2005

New Year, New Books

It's a new year, well pretty soon, and we have a lot of new books at the Amherst Public Library. I was trying to think of a new way to let you know about some of these great books and decided to hit the Internet and try my hand at blogging.

Let me know what you think of some of these and as always, send me any ideas you have for new kids or young adult books.


Macaroni Boy - by Katherine Ayers
Published 2004, 187 pages
JF-AYE

Need a historical fiction book for that report that's due Friday? This one might be perfect. In Pittsburgh in 1933, sixth-grader Mike Costa notices a connection between several strange occurrences, but the only way he can find out the truth about what's happening is to be nice to the class bully.



Andy Warhol: Prince of Pop - by Jan Greenberg
Published 2004
193 pages

Did you know Andy Warhol was born in Pittsburgh? Learn more about this Prince of Pop Art, like what was the deal with Marilyn Monroe, and why Campbell's Soup?










Open Ice - by Pat Hughes
Published 2005

I just finished this book. I had originally given it to a junior high hockey player who needed a book for a language arts report. He never read it - I'm not sure what he did for his report. But needing a quick read one day I opened it up. Well written, the book chronicles Nick Taglio and his experience with the hard-hitting sport of hockey. Forced to quit the game due to a brain injury Nick learns about life off the ice. I did tell that certain student that after reading this book myself I wasn't comfortable giving him a book with as many references to sex, drugs, and rock and roll and that it was a good thing he didn't read it. (Yes, I've studied a bit of reverse psychology myself). Better put this one on reserve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey someone told me there was something offensive - so like hey, I had to take a look. Dude - cool books.