Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Go Green

Maybe it was just the recent St. Patrick's Day celebrations or maybe the realization that there is more than one way to "go green" led me to the book "Green For Life" by Victoria Boutanko.

Always looking for a healthier, yet easy, remedy to what ails us, "Green For Life" begins by comparing the normal human diet to that of the chimpanzee. Okay, so I almost returned the book right there but I'm glad that I didn't.
The descriptions of various case studies and people's responses to drinking one quart of green smoothie a day for a month were inciteful and the recipes at the end were great.
I do prefer the sweet versions as opposed to the recipes for savory smoothies. I don't care if one is described as "Igor's Favorite", the addition of red onion and plum tomatoes and garlic were just a little much for me. After trying a few of the recipes though I became comfortable with winging it. Pretty much fill your blender with half greens and half fruit, two cups of filtered water and turn it on. Romaine, turnip greens, and yes, even kale are wonderful examples of cheap greens to use and apples, kiwi, red grapes, and even frozen fruit like bagged strawberries are great to use as long as there's no added sugar.
So drink up.

No comments: